Friday, February 10, 2012

Houndstooth Table..an old Oak kitchen table affair

I had a friend throwing away this old oak kitchen table and chair set...I of course entertain alot and thought I could do something with it.  I sanded down the table and used Red Rustoleum paint and rolled it on the table and chairs. I did have to use a brush in some areas.  It took about 4 coats and hours and hours of drying time.  I then cut out the houndstooth stencil on my silhouette machine and used contact paper that you use to line your cabinets since it is only about $7.99 for 12ft vs silhouette vinyl or craft vinyl which runs $9.99 for just 2 24 inch sheets.

My husband had to help me layout the pattern because it did literally make me cross my eyes..
I then rolled over the stencils with the aqua blue paint which was a valspar paint since it can be tinted.  After 2 coats and dry time...I then used the clear coat from Hobby Lobby that runs about $39.99 unless you use a off coupon.  I then mixed equal parts and poured it over the tops of the chairs and table top.  It says to allow 24 hours dry time which I allowed about 48 hours and that still wasn't enough time because the chairs did crease and have leaves stick to them once I placed it outside.  Other than that it has held up great with rain and snow...Good Luck and Enjoy !

1 comment: